What do you think about steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs?

Tagged: 

• What do you think about steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs?

• Anonymous

August 4, 2018 at 9:18 am

I worked with an 18D (Special Forces Medic) who believed that SOF medics should be trained to cycle their troops on steroids. I assume he knew what he was talking about, but I don’t personally know enough about the pros and cons of this stuff to have an opinion.
    What do y’all know about the risks and benefits? Should they be legalized for SOF? For military personnel? For everyone? Would it be safe to regularly keep certain personnel on cycles of these things?

• Anonymous

August 5, 2018 at 12:08 am

Hi Elijah. There are different types of steroid. Is there a chance the medic may have been talking about steroids that can be used for treating pain/reducing inflammation versus those to build muscle?

• Anonymous

August 5, 2018 at 7:48 am

Hi Getz USA. The closest I’ve ever gotten to being a medical professional was when I worked as an ambulance driver at TMC-14 on Camp Mackall with a bunch of 18Ds, but I am aware that there are different kinds of steroids. I had steroid eye drops following my LASIK surgery last year. However, I am sure he was talking about building muscle with steroids. He also believed that SOF guys should have their testosterone levels artificially maintained at the high end of normal (1100 or so, if I recall correctly) even as they aged, so experienced professionals could stay in the fight longer.

• Anonymous

August 5, 2018 at 7:55 am

• Anonymous

August 5, 2018 at 7:59 am

I worked out in hardcore gyms back in the 90’s and there was a lot of steroid abuse. It has it’s advantages but like anything else it has a lot of bad points. The military has been using drugs to enhance performance including pilots on “go pills”

• Anonymous

August 5, 2018 at 3:26 pm

I’m not a video guy, so I’m not about to watch a 20 minute video. What are the key takeaways?

I’ve heard that fighter pilots would often use amphetamines to enhance their performance.

• ststaff

Organizer
    August 5, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Very interesting topic Elijah and an important one, especially since we know that our adversaries like Russia and China have no problems using any type of drug or treatment to enhance performance. We might be old-school but we tend to be very cautious about using anything unnatural for two key reasons. First, while a drug might help in one area, it is difficult to know the side-effects it might have on someone’s mental abilities, emotional stability etc. We would rather go into battle with a team that is pretty strong but very smart and very level headed, instead of a team with superhuman strength but poor decision making ability and mental stability under pressure. That is just one example but we just don’t know enough about how each drug affects the person as a whole, all the tangible and intangible attributes. Second, we always try to plan for the worst-case scenario. So what are the withdrawal effects of a drug? When you’re faced with the worst-case scenario in combat (cut-off behind the lines, out of resupply, captured, hungry, evading etc.) that is the last moment when you want to be also handicapped by not having your pills. Just our opinion.

• Anonymous

August 6, 2018 at 7:11 am

@ST Staff I agree entirely. I’m wondering if anyone here has enough knowledge about the pros and cons to lay it out for us.

• Anonymous

August 6, 2018 at 9:37 am

“I’m not a video guy, so I’m not about to watch a 20 minute video. What are the key takeaways?”

Maybe if you took 20 minutes out of your life and watched an informative video posted by a member that took his time trying to help your forum, you would know the answer ; )

• Anonymous

August 6, 2018 at 4:22 pm

@fobfitness I do appreciate it… but videos are such an inefficient means of absorbing information. I’m a speed-read a few articles and then listen to podcasts on 2X speed while commuting kind of guy.

• Anonymous

August 6, 2018 at 8:45 pm

If memory serves, the German forces relied heavily on amphetamines to fuel the Blitzkrieg across Europe. They were pretty hard core record keepers. Does any one know if the US learned anything from the Germans’ experience (side effects, burnout, etc?)?

• Anonymous

August 19, 2018 at 4:41 pm

@getz-usa I’ve read about their use of amphetamines and other hard and soft drugs to enhance performance, but I’ve not read about the US using their experience.

• Anonymous

August 20, 2018 at 3:34 am

Good to see this guy’s perspective. I was unaware of ‘cycling’ steroids before this video. Also, nice history and terminology info. Thanks for sharing.

• Anonymous

September 24, 2018 at 4:15 pm

@fobfitness I finally got around to watching the video, on 2x speed. It’s good information. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 1 - 14 of 14 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now