Defining what Mission Command Is!!

• Anonymous

July 18, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Until we really understand the German/Prussian culture in context to its day, our or the US definition or understanding of what Mission Command or Auftragstaktik really means, falls short.

http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/how-germans-defined-auftragstaktik-what-mission-command-and-not

• Anonymous

July 18, 2018 at 5:20 pm

I guess clearly understanding Mission Command as a philosophy has a lot to do with leadership, hasn’t you?

• Anonymous

July 18, 2018 at 5:26 pm

No, It is beyond “leadership”, It has a lot to do with professionalism. There are a lot of leaders that suck, top down and toxic, and hate Mission Command. But they are still leaders, and in the eyes of the US Military many are successful.

• Anonymous

July 18, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have to say now I am a follower in your webpage. What you write looks accurate and interesting, so I think there is a lot to learn from.

As far as the topic, I think if somebody is toxic he is not a leader but just a boss or a chief. For me leaders are those with leadership, and leadership implies professionalism. I think also that humility is the way for leadership.

• Anonymous

July 18, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Special Tactics is creating some Mission Courses to be available in the future on our Courses page.

• Anonymous

July 19, 2018 at 1:33 am

Great piece Don well done. I really appreciate how you break down Auftragstaktik in its historical context and Mission Command as you note “what it is and what it is not”, to Barney level basics as a cultural philosophy. “The highest form of military professionalism and the absolute command culture,” a continuous cycle of development, trust and responsibility down to the lowest level, to quickly adapt to an ambiguously evolving battlefield and execute the commanders intent. More Commanders and leaders should read to clearly understand this and how it relates in practical application with Col. John Boyd’s work.

https://www.tacticalresponse.com/blogs/library/18649427-boyd-s-o-o-d-a-loop-and-how-we-use-it

• Anonymous

July 19, 2018 at 8:35 am

Thanks Axe, I sincerely believe that the forthcoming handbook on how to develop for Mission Command will be a hit. Very proud of you too. Talk soon, Don

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now